Sunday, August 22, 2010

Yum, Paste... or Rice Cereal

The doctor mentioned at his 4 month exam that I could start feeding him rice cereal. I had it in the back of my mind that I would entertain the idea more in a few weeks only because he sticks out his tongue quiet a bit and I thought it might easier if he could actually sit. Our doctor told me that if in a few weeks the bottles don't seem to satisfy him, then I could try the cereal to tie him over. I thought, perfect. I'll see how it goes.

Well, tonight (3 days later) we tried rice cereal. He started sucking his 5 ounce bottles dry on Saturday so I bumped him up an ounce which he gladly took. A couple of times over the weekend he ate the whole 6 ounces and seemed to want more. So I thought maybe we'll give cereal a try.

Part of my hesitation comes from my sister, Joanna's, experiences with her daughter, Lena. Let's just say rice cereal didn't work for miss Lena Loo, but Brooks took it like a champ. Keep in mind the first feeding we tried, he'd been awake for 2 hours and was fussy because he was tired. It did cross my mind that I should have waited until he was a bit more manageable, but we went with it anyway. Brooks actually ate 7-10 half spoonfulls of cereal. I thought he did really well, for something that tastes like paste.





I tried a second round of rice cereal after he took his 8pm bottle. Again, he sucked down his 6 ounce bottle and went straight for his hands. This time, I made a teaspon of cereal and he ate all of it... and, this time with a smile. :)

1 comment:

  1. SO SO SO adorable!!! He sure does seem to like it:) Pretty amazing for his first day!

    We always did the baby oatmeal instead of rice cereal, and Ben LOVED it from his first bite. He ate that stuff for ever! And he still loves oatmeal, in fact.

    Molly, however, was like Lena. Didn't ever even take to baby foods in general.

    Crazy babies!!

    ReplyDelete